One of seven cars built by Ginetta Cars, Ltd. to compete in the European FIA 2 liter GT Championship, this particular car, the very first of the series, was sold to Art Allen, the Ginetta distributor in Southern California in 1968. It was raced in SCCA races on the West Coast for two years and then parked in his garage, were it stayed for the next 18 years.
In 1987, G16/001 was purchased by Trevor Needham, a well-known Ginetta racer and restorer, and returned to England where it underwent a complete rebuild. The original Coventry Climax 2 litre engine having been sold previously, the car was fitted with a period correct Lester Owen BMW M10 2 liter engine. Trevor raced G16/001 in the International Supersports Cup series in Europe from 1992-1997, taking numerous class wins.
The car was sold to its third and current owner in November, 1999 and shipped to the US where it was mechanically restored and brought up to US vintage racing standards by Vintage Racing Services of Stratford, Connecticut. Of the seven original G16s, all still exist. G16/001 is the only one racing outside of Europe or the UK. It has been successfully raced on the vintage circuit in Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) and many other events including the Monterey Historic Races, taking many class and group wins as well as winning the SVRA Group 5 and overall Endurance Championship.
G16/001 is now offered for sale having undergone a comprehensive restoration including a new tubular space frame and all new bodywork from the original Ginetta molds. Plumbing, wiring, fire system, fuel cell, instruments are new. Engine and gearbox have had recent rebuilds. This is a very well sorted, fast and beautiful open sports racer capable of winning in any field of comparable cars.
- Chassis: New mild steel space frame as original design and retaining original chassis plate. Aluminum floor and bulkheads.
- Body: New lightweight GRP from the Walklett brother's original molds.
- Engine: Lester Owen BMW M10 2 litre, 223BHP @ 7800 RPM
- Carburetors: 2 Weber 50DCOE
- Fuel Cell: New 12 gal. FuelSafe cell in left sidepod. RH 7 gallon fuel cell included.
- Gearbox: Hewland FT200 5 speed
- Brakes: Wilwood 4 piston aluminum calipers and vented rotors. Original AP calipers included.
- Suspension: Front: double wishbone, coil-over Koni 8212 double adjustable shocks, anti-roll bar.
- Rear: double wishbone, trailing links, coil-over Koni 8212 double adjustable shocks, anti-roll bar.
- Wheels: Panasport three piece Aluminum Alloy. Original Minilite wheels included.
- Front: 13 X 9 Rear: 13 X 13
- Tires: Avon slicks (Historic tread) Front: 9.0-21X13 Rear: 12-23X13
- Wheelbase: 90 inches
- Weight: 1260 pounds (5 gal fuel, no driver)